17th Biennial Reunion

Getchell, Darrell
Administrator
Year Enlisted: 1961
Year Discharged: 1991

17th Biennial Reunion

Postby Getchell, Darrell » October 4th, 2015, 8:14 pm

Do these reunions work to reunite old friends? Let me tell you about Friday, Oct 2nd. C. E. Powell (Buddy) asked me if I ever saw or knew Dick Ransom. They had both been stationed in Det 2, 2875th GEEIA in Okinawa. I said yes, Dick was a member of our reunion committee. In fact Dick had been tending bar all afternoon Thursday, and Buddy had been to the bar a couple of times. Later that day, I had a chance to bring the two together. They didn't recognize either but one of them made some comment, Then Dick realized that Buddy had been his first team chief so many years ago. Out came the photo albums, the two talked for about an hour, Dick went back to bartending and Buddy to leaning over the bar, and the conversation continued. Two old friends who hadn't seen each other in over 45 years who, I'm sure, will stay in touch. That's just one of the things that makes me make these reunions happen. I've seen that over and over thru the years, Hope I'm able to do it for a few more years, at least.

Garcia, John
Year Enlisted: Aug 1965
Year Discharged: Dec 1968

Re: 17th Biennial Reunion

Postby Garcia, John » September 17th, 2016, 2:21 am

Thanks for sharing, Darrel. I was always afraid that I wouldn't know anyone. I'm seriously considering attending next year's reunion.

Return to “GEEIA Reunions”