Looking for postings about the 485th EIS, Griffiss AFB

Griffiss AFB, New York
Stenstrom, John
Year Enlisted:
Year Discharged:

Postby Stenstrom, John » October 10th, 2010, 5:13 pm

Greetings, Teammates - I just discovered this great site and asked the Webmaster to create this forum for us, so now let's populate it with memories.

I arrived at Griffiss in June of 1972 as a MSgt, was put supervising the construction of radio equipment racks for something called Project Rivet Switch. I worked for some GREAT civilians like Bob Tyoe, Lindsay Nimmo, Gil Bustos, Art Pratt, and with a bunch of whacky guys like Bill Cassell, John Donovan, (or Donnely?) Jim Kerrigan, Lennie Borrouso, Fred McLean, John Murray. I wish I still had some of those old TDY orders to remember the rest of the names. Our military section leader was MSgt William Martin and some other AF names - Mike Tetlow, Dario Biagiarelli, and darn, I've just run dry. Help me remember some of these folks.

I did a lot of the Project Combat Grande jobs in Spain in 75 - 76; Jim Kerrigan was frequently the civilian Team Chief and I was military. I was on sites at Rosas, Inoges (Zaragoza), Motril, Constantina (near Seville) and Soller (Mallorca). That was quite a place - they chopped about 150' off the top of a mountain peak to make enough surface to put the site in. I think that's all, but it HAS been a long time.

After that I did some odd jobs on GCAs in England, decommissioning Canadian Radar Sites, military TC for removal of the Spacetrack Radar Prototype at Cherry Hill NJ and even some "inside plant" work at Andrews AFB before moving on (still a MSgt) to the 4754th Radar Eval in 1977. Fooled 'em, though - kept out of trouble long enough to make CMSgt before retiring in 1982. Retired to Richmond, VA, been working for the same building controls company, now owned by Siemens, even since.

Pratt, Arthur
Year Enlisted:
Year Discharged:

Postby Pratt, Arthur » April 14th, 2011, 10:53 am

Just surfing and found the GEEIA.ORG site and who do I find: MSGT MORTSNETS. I remember most of the names and more you have listed. John O'Donnell not Donovan, sadly Jim Kerrigan has passed. Add Charlie Houck, Don Roberts, John Reardon, Phil Gnat and more. Great to hear you are doing well. Art Pratt

Stenstrom, John
Year Enlisted:
Year Discharged:

Postby Stenstrom, John » April 15th, 2011, 4:11 am

Hello, Art - good to hear from you, as most of us are apparently no longer on the scene. I really enjoyed my time at the 485th and working with great people like you and Gil Bustos.

Anderson, Robert
Year Enlisted:
Year Discharged:

Postby Anderson, Robert » October 27th, 2011, 4:00 pm

Hi John and Art,

I was an Airman in the 485th (Nov 76 to Dec 79) and ended up running the Weather Radar shop as an E4 SGT for about 6 months prior to my discharge. (They were shutting down our shop at about the time I got out). I knew Mr. Kerrigan very well, did several TDYs with him. I'm sad to see he has passed on. Mr. Tyoe ran the electronics section. Some of the other names mentioned I remember, but sadly can't put a face to them.

I also was pretty close to John Baran. He was also a civilian team chief. Does anyone know what happened to him?

I did some time in rivet switch. Some of the military guys in my shop were Brian O'Donnell, Garry Griffin, Steve Carter, Jerry Irwin, and Dennis Karoleski.

I sometimes pass through Rome for work, and stop at Griffiss. It is almost unrecognizable to me now, except for Depot 1, the BX and some other buildings in that area. A couple of years ago, my old barracks and the chow hall were still standing. I tried to find them a couple of months ago and couldn't find them. I was in a hurry, so I may have missed a turn, but I'm guessing they're gone now.

Had some great memories at Griffiss. It was a great way for a young guy to start life.

Bob

Stenstrom, John
Year Enlisted:
Year Discharged:

Postby Stenstrom, John » October 29th, 2011, 1:54 am

Thanks for the post, Bob. Unfortunately I don't remember you, but we only had a few months of overlap (I left in April of 1977) and I was TDY most of the time. Glad you knew Jim Kerrigan - he and I shared Civilian/Military Team Chief duties many times, and he taught me how to do the job.

I haven't been to Griffiss since 1977, not sure I want to. As they say, you can never go home.

john s.

Return to “485th EI Squadron”