2874th Det 1 RAF Mildenhall 1963

RAF Mildenhall, England(Became 2874th, Det 1 in 1961)
Swartz, Bill
Year Enlisted: 1962
Year Discharged: 1966

Postby Swartz, Bill » December 14th, 2010, 4:22 pm

Bob Saranich, (Capt. retired) Inside Plant just told me about this site. We served in England 'til the unit broke up, then went to 2879th in Athens. I drove down in a 1958 MGA with Robert Trott through Belgium, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Italy, and Yugoslavia. We hit Octoberfest in Munich where we went in on Tuesday, came out on Thursday, and have no recollection of what went on Wednesday! I turned 21 in Belgrade the day before we entered Greece. We never looked back. In one full year at Mildenhall, we had one week of sunshine in June and another in August. We really enjoyed that year in spite of the gloomy weather and hit 18 of twenty-some bases that had US personnel at the time.

Does anyone have any recollection of the guys they served with during that era? I remember Domingo Gomez, Tom Snell, Robert Taylor, Don Secomb, "Moose" ---?---Norbert Nordquist, Bobby Cross, Stanley Campbell, George Bruton, Ernie Thomas, Sgt Herbert Simpson, Sgt Jim-?-Rodanski, Margaret Fowler, the secretary who married George Zenisek--sp--???.... Mickey's Tea Bar?
There was also a tech rep in London, Norman Nordberg...or Nordstrom.
Any one remember him? Memorable guy!........
Photos anyone?

Swartz, Bill
Year Enlisted: 1962
Year Discharged: 1966

Postby Swartz, Bill » December 21st, 2010, 5:12 am

While with the 2874th Det 1 at RAF Mildendenhall, we frequently went to the Douglas House. One weekend, Bob Saranich (Capt. ret.) and I drove down to London and did a few historical sights. That evening we went to the DH for a room, as was our usual practice. To our surprize, it was full! We asked around and found ALL the usual places were in the same situation. It seems there were European Cup finals or somehuge draw that weekend. We started walking and it was literally freezing . We covered a couple square miles of the whole area looking for a bed and breakfast or rooming house til 1:30AM......Nothing. Finally we went back to the DHouse for a few drinks to warm up. We barely knew Jo Byrne, the bartender at the Oak Room who was from Scotland. When she learned what was going on, she got off work at 2AM, took us to her flat and let us crash there 'til morning. We had to pump Half a Crown into the gas heater every 30 minutes to keep the frost off but it was the best floor I ever slept on! I took her a bottle of Crown Royal next time an she sold it at the bar, by the shot, and turned it into a hefty tip.[/quote

Parker, Fritz
Year Enlisted:
Year Discharged:

Re: 2874th Det 1 RAF Mildenhall 1963

Postby Parker, Fritz » August 16th, 2013, 8:06 pm

I was with the 2873rd at Bushy Park for about 9 months until we moved to Mildenhall. I was a supply guy working with John (Corky) Corcoran, TSGT Tri and MSG Sutch. I hung out with Bob Lindsey and Dick Harbaugh.
There was a MSG Kendrick that I tried to emulate as I went up in rank. He would never ask his men to do anything that he wouldn't do but they had better keep pace with him once he showed them the ropes. When I rotated back to the states, I ended up at Hq GEEIA at Griffiss AFB where I crosstrained to Drafting. I couldn't have designed a better first overseas tour.
Fritz Parker, Austin, TX

Return to “2873rd GEEIA”