cheju-do

Tachikawa AB, Japan
Weekley, Tommy
Year Enlisted: 1966
Year Discharged: 1970

cheju-do

Postby Weekley, Tommy » July 10th, 2014, 1:52 pm

I have never heard from anyone who ever went tdy to cheju-do isle at the south end of Korea.While browsing I came across McNabb A.S. and an article about it being so oil contaminated. I recognized the pictures of the site as the place I went tdy in 1970.I flew there in a C-47 with a MSGT(I think) named Quackenbush. I don't remember if anyone else was with us, I had never worked with him either before or after.I pulled some outside maintenance while he did the inside on some radars.It was beautiful there with pheasants all over the place and I think they had shotguns and bird dogs that the permanent personnel could use although I don't remember many people there.Sure wish I had of kept a journal and guarded my pictures I took better,over the years I lost a great many good photos as I took quite a few.Seems like we were there about a week or so and' of course I had no orders as my NCO just told me to get on the plane. I was tdy to either Taegu or Kunsan at the time and returned there after the job, just like a GEEIA gypsy. You can type in McNabb A.S. in Korea if you would like to see it. it was interesting to me after 44 years......T

Garcia, Johnnie
Year Enlisted: Aug 1965
Year Discharged: Dec 1968

Re: cheju-do

Postby Garcia, Johnnie » July 12th, 2014, 5:54 am

Hey, T---I remember some of the GIs talking about Choju-do about what a beautiful place to relax and go hunting. However, I never did go maybe if I had stayed out of Chico Village. I may have seen more of the country, but I can't complain my yobo, and I would go to all of places whenever we could. It was like being married and that scared the heck out of me. I don't remember the name of the beach we went to, but it was experience I will never forget. We went on a bus to a railroad station and took the train for about an hour and got off the train and walked to a ferry that finally got us to the beach. We spent most of the day at the beach. We had a great time until it got time to go home. It seemed that everyone and their uncle was trying to go home at the same time. Especially when we got to the train station. There were so many people they were standing on the aisle, and that kimji smell didn't help any. Once everyone settled down it wasn't to bad until we arrived at our destination. I couldn't believe what I was seeing when the train stopped to get off. There was just as many people trying to get on at the same time, so you can imagine the chaos that created when people were trying to get off and on at the same. There was people cussing and shoving. I saw a poor mama-san fall with a bundle of clothing. Thank God I survived that ordeal.
I was in Kadena when typhoon Cora hit Miyako Jima. We had to repair the damage that was done. I believe typo on sustained 180 mph winds. Getting tired have a great weekend ne-nesan.

Weekley, Tommy

Postby Weekley, Tommy » July 12th, 2014, 1:38 pm

Hey tomodachi, great to hear from you again.I remember in Japan that they actually hired people to push and pack people in to trains. I found that the only way to live with the Korean people was to learn to eat Kimchee along with them, I actually got very fond of it, I have occasionally bought it in the refrigerated section at our local grocery although it is not as good and certainly not as potent as the stuff I got in country.I, too, missed out on a lot of things,but, looking back, there was only so much time and it certainly wasn't enough as far as I'm concerned....... T

Farrell, Chuck
Year Enlisted: September 12, 1966
Year Discharged: October 7, 1970

Postby Farrell, Chuck » July 13th, 2014, 11:59 am

Tommy, you're a better man than me. The smell of Kimchi made me gag. Never, never tasted it. On one trip to Osan my Team Chief (TSgt Pelekai I think) used to eat Kimchi every morning for breakfast at the job site. Really something to smell when you are fighting a hangover and know you need to get off your butt and get to work.

Weekley, Tommy

Postby Weekley, Tommy » July 13th, 2014, 3:03 pm

YEAH, CHUCK, i WAS NEVER SHY ABOUT TRYING ANYTHING OVER THERE BUT I KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN.REMEMBER ROBERT DUVALL IN APOCALYSE NOW WHEN HE SAID " I LOVE THE SMELL OF NAPALM IN THE MORNING"? YOU COULDN'T SAY THAT ABOUT KINCHI, IT WAS PRETTY ROUGH IN THE MORNING , BUT LIKE A LOT OF THINGS, IT TASTED BETTER THAN IT SMELLED.WE HAD ONE GUY WITH US AT TACHI THAT COULD TELL WHAT NATIONALITY THE BANDS THAT PLAYED AT THE CLUB ON YAMATO WERE BY THE THE WAY THEY SMELLED.THE PEOPLE WERE CLEAN BUT THAT SMELL WITH ALL OF THE GARLIC,HOT PEPPERS AND THE FERMENTING PROCESS WOULD COME OUT OF THE PORES WHEN THEY HAD BEEN EATING KIMCHI.WHEN I FIRST LANDED ON IE SHIMA, SOME OF THE LOCALS HAD A DOG ON A SPIT ROASTING HIM DOWN ON THE BEACH, ALSO ONE OF THE RESTAURANTS ON THE ISLANDS HAD NEKO FRIED RICE THAT I TRIED AS I LOVED FRIED RICE. IT DIDN'T DAWN ON ME UNTIL LATER WHAT NEKO MEANT, WAS PRETTY GOOD TOO, BUT IN THOSE DAYS, DOING HARD PHYSICAL WORK, MY SKINNY ASS STAYED HUNGRY ALL THE TIME SO I DIDN'T MUCH MIND. WHEN IN ROME...... T

Garcia, John

Kimchi

Postby Garcia, John » August 15th, 2014, 5:11 pm

Hey, Tommy & Chuck, Personally, I could never get past the smell, and the way they buried those big pots and all the ingredients that went into the pots to make the Kimchi did not appeal to me. I could tell when our crew chief spent the night in Chico, because the next morning you could smell it even at arms lengths away. One of the dishes I did enjoyed was yaki-mundo. I also liked their fruits. Pears were my favorite. I liked their hambugers that were made in Chico. I was told it was pagogi (beef), but it may have been ca-gogi (dog). I never did bark or used a fire hydrant to take a piss, your guess is as good as mine. Did any of you ever eat dried octopus? in one of those Makelik houses. It was like eating leather. Have a good weekend. JG

Farrell, Chuck
Year Enlisted: September 12, 1966
Year Discharged: October 7, 1970

Postby Farrell, Chuck » August 16th, 2014, 10:55 am

Thought it was dried squid but it could have been octopus. Tasted and chewed like cardboard. Used to lay it on the top of the charcoal heaters to warm it up. Remember doing that at the movie theatre.

Weekley, Tommy

Postby Weekley, Tommy » August 16th, 2014, 4:05 pm

Boy, you guys are hurting my feelings! I still occasionally eat kimchi although it is weak stuff from the grocery store and I loved dried squid that I ate in JAPAN.They would have it hanging on the wall behind the bar and you would just tell them how much you wanted and they would break it off,they also sold it in little snack bags like peanuts although it wasn't as good.I remember my room at the motel in Koza City was elevated and they had stalls on the street below that sold all kinds of foods and one of my favorites was tempura style fried octupusI would go there after waking up from a drunk and stuffing it downI I loved it and also the big 6 inch long salted sardines that they served as bar food were delicious but the salt would make you suck down some Kirin beer.My favorites though were still the chicken yaki-tori skewers papa-san sold from his little push carts with the charcoal braziers. He would see me coming late at night in Tachi and start throwing them on, I absolutely loved them.Great memories and I would love to be able to try them again. Got your email J.G. and looking forward to the pics,will email you soon,Great to have new member Mike K. aboard, always good to have fresh stories on the site.GEEIA on tomodachis.........T

Garcia, John

Postby Garcia, John » August 18th, 2014, 5:34 am

Hey T--glad to hear from you. You always seem to mention something that that jogs the old memory. I had forgotten about tempura. I liked both Japanese and Korean food, but lean more for the Japanese dishes. I used to love Neko Donburi. It was made with chopped beef with veggies with two bowls. One on top was perforated, and the one below had steam rice. The juice from the meat and veggies would drain into the rice. It was delicious. I had a a bowel of it San Francisco at a Japanese restaurant, and it did not have the same flavor.
I was in a Japanese restaurant in Everette, Wa and I trying to show off my Japanese lingo that I can still remember. They didn't understand a word I was saying. They were all were all Koreans, so I had to switch to over to Korean lingo. I haven't been able to fine a good Japanese or Korean restaurant in Modesto. Vancouver, Wa has a good one that serves both Japanese and Korean dishes. Damn cat woke me up this morning. It is 4:25 am. I'm going to try and some shut eye. Glad to hear from you Tommy!!

Pignatello, Joseph
Year Enlisted: 1969
Year Discharged: 1978

Postby Pignatello, Joseph » May 28th, 2018, 11:20 am

Reading some of these brings back some memories of when I first got Tachi and assigned to the 2875th...I remember MSgt Quackenbush and also did aTDY on Cheju-do...what an experience. Our crew then was led by SSgt Lopez (Tony.). Also went TYDY to Pusan, Seoul, and a few others as well. Other guys I now remember were Bill Burrows (hurt in jeep accident when on TDY), Rick Erickson, Gerry Erickson, and others I'm sure will pop into my head

Joe

Return to “2875th GEEIA”