Navaids: Looking for...

Tachikawa AB, Japan
Adams, Nick
Year Enlisted:
Year Discharged:

Postby Adams, Nick » July 22nd, 2010, 8:18 am

Anyone in Navaids between Nov.'68 and Feb.'70? I remember some names: Ron Busjahn, Jack Donges, Benny Beasley, Walter Pelky, Bobby Ott, Charlie Bill. These are a few of the names I remember. If anyone knows how to get in touch with any of these guys, send them my email address or give me theirs. Phone numbers work also.LOL
Just wondering what ever happened to them.

Cowan, Al
Year Enlisted:
Year Discharged:

Postby Cowan, Al » December 7th, 2010, 4:34 pm

Hi Nick. I remember all but Jack. How about Paynter, Trover, Ray, Kushaney, Petterson, Lechner, Satterfield, Wiley, Mechum to name a few more. I finally got logged on to the site.
Al

Adams, Nick
Year Enlisted:
Year Discharged:

Postby Adams, Nick » December 8th, 2010, 9:57 am

Hey Al,
Good to hear from you again.
I check this website almost daily just to see if anyone has replied to my question.
I heard from a guy named David Clark, he said he was at Tachi in Navaids from Aug '69 to Aug '72. I also got a reply from Len Arsenault. But no one other than you from your list. Have you been in touch with anyone other than Ron Satterfield?
I belong to a couple of other websites, hoping someone will turn up there. A website on Yahoo groups called Tachikawa, AFB, but it's mostly dependents with a few old timers. And then there's the Air Force Together We Served (AFTWS) website. It has a bunch of people on that site.
If your interested I can send you a link to either one or both.
I wonder if any of those on your list have a facebook page? Have you tried looking for any one in particular?

I live in central Calif. (Fresno) 60 miles south of the old Castle AFB. Been here since I got discharged back in '73.
How are you and Ron doing?

Biggs, Ed
Year Enlisted:
Year Discharged:

Postby Biggs, Ed » December 8th, 2010, 3:57 pm

Hello to all from a new member. I to was a GEEIA Gypsy. Starting in Sept 1959 as a pipeline student and arrived at the 2874th the end of July 1960. I was the first, from the fist class with the 306x0 afsc. I was assigned the job of responsible property officer for what was then Globe com. and Criti com. Worked in Great Britian, Europe and the Middle East. After 50 years my job can now be talked about. You can read about it on the internet. Do a search of internet, kw26,nsa, AFOSI and project
corona. Yes I installed the first internet connection between the command USA, Europe and the far East. I installed equipment for all US early installations. As per GEEIA GREAT DUTY. GREAT GUYS Loads of good memories. Ramstein was a great base in a excellent location to see Europe from. It was the utopia of assignments. Best beer in Germany on tap at the rod and gun club located in our back yard. excellent chow hall across the street. Top notch service club with top notch entertainment about half a block away. Workload was a roll call at 8AM and again at 1Pm being able to do as you please the free time. A rec room with pool tables,pingpong table and the alway going friendly card games. one could accept certain tasks at roll call that allowed one to travel short trips to other places nearby and see the locals just to pass the time. When on assignment we worked hard,played hard and most of the time we got perdiem from a $1.65 to $68.00 a day extra(for me) On tdy I visted Army,NAVY AND PLACES LIKE EMBASSYS. None Had the quality of Ramstein If you were there from July of 1960 to Apr. 1963 I would love to talk over the good old days with you. I have some pictures I will down load at a latter date. Waiting to hear from you. If I insalled equipment or worked with you in any way let me know.. For those who may not remember my name I was the guy with the white wall and homemade camper on the AF pickup at Adana. I had a AF crew cab that I had a chrome splicing tape racing stipe on in Germany and France. I also shipped my car to Ramstein from the states a 59 elcamino with a custom paint job. you may remember the cars. Later Ed Biggs

Cowan, Al
Year Enlisted:
Year Discharged:

Postby Cowan, Al » December 8th, 2010, 4:22 pm

Hi Nick. No other than Satterfield I have not heard from anyone. Now that I can look at the members I'll find a few. I also remember Arsenault. Bobby's last name was Otts by the way. I found some pictures I took back then and am converting them to jpegs. I'll share the ones that I can print.
Thanks Al

Adams, Nick
Year Enlisted:
Year Discharged:

Postby Adams, Nick » December 9th, 2010, 4:11 pm

okay Al, keep me posted.

Getchell, Darrell
Administrator
Year Enlisted: 1961
Year Discharged: 1991

Postby Getchell, Darrell » December 11th, 2010, 11:51 am

i was stationed with Bill Trover in the 483rd in '69-'70..he is now located in Delaware....address is

William E. Trover
112 Lakefront Dr
Dover, DE 19904-6421

You might be able to get his phone number on www.switchboard.com

Adams, Nick
Year Enlisted:
Year Discharged:

Postby Adams, Nick » December 31st, 2010, 8:00 am

Happy New Year 2011 !!

Conklin, Tom
Year Enlisted:
Year Discharged:

Postby Conklin, Tom » March 15th, 2011, 3:43 pm

Hi Ed,

If you ever get back to the GEEIA web site, please post your messages on the 2874th GEEIA message board. I tried to send an E-mail message to your AOL address, but it bounced. I was at the same tech school at Lackland (a class behind you) and went to 2873rd and 2872nd GEEIA. I remember your El Camino well.

Tom Conklin
usafvet63@sbcglobal.net

Hello to all from a new member. I to was a GEEIA Gypsy. Starting in Sept 1959 as a pipeline student and arrived at the 2874th the end of July 1960. I was the first, from the fist class with the 306x0 afsc. I was assigned the job of responsible property officer for what was then Globe com. and Criti com. Worked in Great Britian, Europe and the Middle East. After 50 years my job can now be talked about. You can read about it on the internet. Do a search of internet, kw26,nsa, AFOSI and project
corona. Yes I installed the first internet connection between the command USA, Europe and the far East. I installed equipment for all US early installations. As per GEEIA GREAT DUTY. GREAT GUYS Loads of good memories. Ramstein was a great base in a excellent location to see Europe from. It was the utopia of assignments. Best beer in Germany on tap at the rod and gun club located in our back yard. excellent chow hall across the street. Top notch service club with top notch entertainment about half a block away. Workload was a roll call at 8AM and again at 1Pm being able to do as you please the free time. A rec room with pool tables,pingpong table and the alway going friendly card games. one could accept certain tasks at roll call that allowed one to travel short trips to other places nearby and see the locals just to pass the time. When on assignment we worked hard,played hard and most of the time we got perdiem from a $1.65 to $68.00 a day extra(for me) On tdy I visted Army,NAVY AND PLACES LIKE EMBASSYS. None Had the quality of Ramstein If you were there from July of 1960 to Apr. 1963 I would love to talk over the good old days with you. I have some pictures I will down load at a latter date. Waiting to hear from you. If I insalled equipment or worked with you in any way let me know.. For those who may not remember my name I was the guy with the white wall and homemade camper on the AF pickup at Adana. I had a AF crew cab that I had a chrome splicing tape racing stipe on in Germany and France. I also shipped my car to Ramstein from the states a 59 elcamino with a custom paint job. you may remember the cars. Later Ed Biggs

Lally, Jim
Year Enlisted: 1968
Year Discharged: 1972

Re: Navaids: Looking for...

Postby Lally, Jim » September 8th, 2014, 9:40 pm

Hi, Nick.

I see it's been a while since there has been any action on this thread. Here's hoping that you still check this topic from time to time.

My name is Jim Lally. I just stumbled onto this message board 2 days ago. What a blast from the past! A LOT of good memories came flooding back.

I was at Tachi in the Navaids section from Aug '69 to Aug '71. Your name really rings a bell. I vividly remember Jack Donges, Walter Pelky, David Clark, and Len Arsenault.

Others I remember are Rick Slavens, Rick Billingsley, Richard Valentine, Gary Strouble.

I haven't been in contact with any of them except Walter Pelkey since I left Japan in '71. We met up again at Keesler AFB right before I got discharged in '72. He was a great man and had a wonderful family. Unfortunately I think this is about him:

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/dailyp ... =154929609

As for me....I retired in 2012 after working 14 years teaching electronics and math at a community college just north of Tampa Florida (a State of Florida job) and then 22 years for an IT department in a Federal Court in Tampa Florida (a Federal job). Sunny warm Tampa Florida suits me just fine.

Hope you get this. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Jim

jimlally@verizon.net

Return to “2875th GEEIA”