looking for old friends from the 2879th

Athenai Airport, Glyfada, Greece
Marroquin, Hector
Year Enlisted:
Year Discharged:

Postby Marroquin, Hector » June 14th, 2007, 6:29 pm

I was assgned to the 2879th in July 1964 thru july 1967, I had my wife and two children with me, we lived about 2 blocks away from the Atena AFB main gate. Since my transfer from the 2879 the only other person i have had contact with was Fred Farias, he was stationed in Austin Texas at the time, and when I transfer to Vietnam in 68 I lost track of him.

Farmer, Jules
Year Enlisted:
Year Discharged:

Postby Farmer, Jules » December 25th, 2007, 12:00 pm

Mark, I just found this site. Actually, my son in Dallas told me about it. I was in the 2879 GEEIA Sq from May (I think) 1966 until November 1968. I remember a lot of faces, but as I am getter OLD, I can't remember names very well. I remember the "knife" trick you were adept at and the night that you and Mike Dingman were wrestling. I remember the night that you called home to Athens and I was worried about overhearing private info - then you began speaking Spanish to your wife. No problem - English is still a challenge to me.

I left Greece and went to the 727 TAC Control Sq at Bergstrom AFB, TX. I was there approximately one year - got married in San Antonio - and shipped to Korat RTAFB to the 485 GEEIA Sq. I was there when GEEIA became E&I. Shipped back to Hill AFB, UT. Spent about 1.5 years there - our son was born there - and moved to Lackland AFB, TX to become a Cryptographic Maintenance instructor. Our daughter was born there at WHMC. In 1977 we were assigned to the Comm Sq at Howard AFB, Panama. From there we went to Otis AFB, MA and then back to Lackland where I retired in 1987. Worked at the Audie Murphy VA Hospital for 3 years. Graduated from WBU in 1990 and went back into the AF in civil service and have 20+ years there.

I have 5 grandchildren in Dallas with our son and two with our daughter. That really makes me old.

Paul Hurd is here at Lackland - he made Chief before he retired. I saw Wagner a while back, while I was still in the AF but have lost touch with everyone else.

Hope all is well with you and that you and your family have a Merry Christmas.

Farmer

Return to “2879th GEEIA”