2879th Roster

Athenai Airport, Glyfada, Greece
Liberty, Roger
Year Enlisted:
Year Discharged:

2879th Roster

Postby Liberty, Roger » August 10th, 2006, 8:35 am

I can't remember what I had for breakfst but I do remember a lot of names from 40 years ago.
Steve Sharp, SSGT (wife Chrisoula aka SoSo)
Jim Vest, SSGT
Herb Terin, Tsgt
Mike Sbrizzi, from Philly
John Urwin, from CA
Grady Hawkins, CMsgt
Gordon Bucker, Msgt
Capt. Boomer, Outside Plant
Maj. Hudson, Exec
Maj. Henry
Col. Bernsen
Tom Pardock, Tsgt
Daryl Perkins, retired as A1C
John Unterbrink, outside Plant
Jay Conklin, outside plant
Jerry Andrews, Pass Christian, TX
Ed Dieker, Liberty Illinois
Marciano, LT. aka Marshmallow
Bill Shoemaker, Civ, MS
Andy Anderson, Msgt
Rusty Bennett
Jerry Springer
Coy Huber
Neils peterson
Bob wagner
Mike Andrushak
Tsgt Grey
And who couldl ever forget Leonard Phlugrad (can't spell it)

Andruschak, Mike
Year Enlisted:
Year Discharged:

2879th Roster

Postby Andruschak, Mike » August 23rd, 2006, 1:02 am

My memory is not nearly so good on names.

James Beaulieu (whom I once left with a hotel maid pointing a gun at him)
Poppa Demayo (sp?) in whos kitchen I made a giant batch of perogi.
My crew:
McCormick
Stan (short for stanyetski (sp?) (no one can spell Polish names!))
In the photo gallery:
Chuck Pierce
SMS Oliver

Was Leonard the hyper-intelligent klutz who got discharged as unfit for military service when he broke a plate glass window?

Do you have any pictures?

Manora, Joeph
Year Enlisted:
Year Discharged:

2879th Roster

Postby Manora, Joeph » October 31st, 2006, 1:24 pm

I remember most of the people listed in Roger's posting. In fact, I was one of the original Members of the 60 ft Billboard installation team at Karatas, Turkey. (Jim Greys Team). In fact I seem to recall being at karatas for both of the 60 ft (120 ft - My Bad) billboard installation. The 60 fters were at Sahin Tepesi (Ortiz)

Any one remembers, Robert Ortiz, Jim Resnik, Billy Summers, Troy Rose, Ellison McGlothlin, Don Stratton? The Greek church in Glyfada brings back many fond memories.

Liberty, Roger
Year Enlisted:
Year Discharged:

2879th Roster

Postby Liberty, Roger » December 30th, 2006, 9:16 am

I spent a lot of time TDY to Karatas during the billboard installation trying to get the Tropo to work. I remeber mostly the crappy barracks we had to stay in on Incirlik, the scorpians, centipedes and heat. There was a big strike during the installation and we got some vehicles stuck in the sea trying to get sand.

The strange thing is after the sites went civilian contract I spent another 9 years in Greece and Turkey. Was site manager of Mt Ederi Crete, Sahin Tepesi, Malatya and finally Karatas.

By the way, I married my first wife in that church in Glyfada and don't have really fond memories of it.

Liberty, Roger
Year Enlisted:
Year Discharged:

2879th Roster

Postby Liberty, Roger » December 30th, 2006, 9:38 am

Hey J, I don't think I ever knew your first name but if I remember correctly everyone just called you "J".

I got to thinking about how the Incirlik base commander finally decided it wasn't good to have so many GEEIA troops on his base and kicked us off. Had to do with a near riot at the club. Anyway we were staying in a hotel downtown when I heard a heck of a racket coming from Conklin's and Unterbrink's room. They were lying on their bunks throwing antenna bolts into the rotating ceiling fan and betting on who got hit the most time with the flying bolts from the fan.

Getchell, Darrell
Administrator
Year Enlisted: 1961
Year Discharged: 1991

2879th Roster

Postby Getchell, Darrell » February 20th, 2007, 11:12 am

Joe,
I seem to remember a story about someone's car crashing up the steps of that church in Glyfada? Or was that a different church?

Wagner, Bob
Year Enlisted:
Year Discharged:

2879th Roster

Postby Wagner, Bob » February 26th, 2007, 9:14 am

Found Sbrizzi. Now looking for Urwin and "Uncle" Herb Terdin. Dieker is a mistery. I may have to drive to his home town and search for him.
Coy Huber is from Louisville, Ky. Had lunch with his parents several years ago. What a neat family. Don't know where he is now. Will have to keep searching.
Doesn't Jerry Springer have a T.V show?
I remember the car on the steps of the church also. Kind of remember a car in a tree.

Liberty, Roger
Year Enlisted:
Year Discharged:

2879th Roster

Postby Liberty, Roger » November 24th, 2008, 5:00 am

Ed Dieker. He was from Liberty Illinois (over by Quincy). I remember that well cause we'd go out drinking and he would were that school shirt with LIBERTY emblazoned upon it. I supposed people thought we were going steady.

Farrell, Chuck
Year Enlisted: September 12, 1966
Year Discharged: October 7, 1970

2879th Roster

Postby Farrell, Chuck » April 24th, 2009, 5:51 pm

Anybody remember a guy from West Virginia that was with you 1968 - 1970? I remember him as Stew, can't remember if his first or last name was Stewart (last I think). Average height, thin, bright blond hair. I was stationed with him at Crypto school at Lackland and we both went to Andrews AFB in Washington, DC. He went to Greece the same time I joined GEEIA in Japan. Wondering what ever happened to him. Thanks.

Miller, Bill
Year Enlisted:
Year Discharged:

2879th Roster

Postby Miller, Bill » April 26th, 2009, 12:04 am

Hey Chuck,
Welcome to THE GEEIA TEAM ON LINE. Lots of Stewarts in So, WV. Is it possible that you might have an old copy of orders with Stewarts full name?
I live in Sophia, WV about 6 miles So. of Beckley. Afraid my tour was quite a few years before you. You mentioned Dick Cross in your original post. Dick and I were in the 2874th. together, one of the original GEEIA squadrons. That would be "58"--"59" era. Anyway pal welcome back to the GEEIA TEAM.

Bill Miller
2874th. Ramstein, Ger.

Return to “2879th GEEIA”