Christmas Day, 1969

Korat RTAFB, Thailand
Getchell, Darrell
Administrator
Year Enlisted: 1961
Year Discharged: 1991

Christmas Day, 1969

Postby Getchell, Darrell » December 25th, 2009, 8:14 pm

39 years ago today, TSgt Phil Lickliter and I were performing Emergency Maintenance Assist on the Don Muang RTAFB TACAN. I think we got it restored on air around 7 P.M., and made in back into Bangkok to the Miami Hotel to shower, get a bite to eat and party the rest of the night away. Got the AFTO 88 signed the next day. If you had to be away from home on Christmas, there were worse places to spend it than in Bangkok...;) :)

Hull, Gary
Year Enlisted:
Year Discharged:

Christmas Day, 1969

Postby Hull, Gary » December 29th, 2009, 9:37 pm

Wow...I had just returned from Udorn for a holiday break the day before. I had a bad cold with congestion and headache and opted to hit the rack rather than see Bob Hope and Raquel Welch perfrom at Korat RTAFB.

One of my first TDY's after arriving in country was to Don Muang to work a recabling job on the TACAN...I'm guessing around August 1969. While in a yellow condition the TACAN went down. I was TDY with several new and/or inexperienced maintenance troops all sent to learn how to recable a TACAN the GEEIA way. Having spent a year at McChord AFB following tech school and before reassignment to the 483rd I think I was the only one of us with real maintenance experience. I immediately jumped in to bring the system back online...trouble-shooting it to a bad tube in the FMO drawer. It was that event that caused Lick to begin sending me on fixit missions as opposed to periodic maintenance missions. I think Trover was our team chief but again, my memory may not be accurate. This was my only trip to Don Muang and it sounds like the Don Muang TACAN had a history of going down...or was it it's proximity to Bangkok that resulted in so much GEEIA attention? :D

Barbeau, Chuck
Year Enlisted:
Year Discharged:

Christmas Day, 1969

Postby Barbeau, Chuck » March 21st, 2011, 9:35 pm

Darrell,
I was the maintainer/advisor to the RTAF on the Bankok TACAN from Nov 69-Nov 70. I remember partying with Phil and Willy Trover from Dover during some of those visits. We did have a rash of antenna failures ultimately resulting in a Tachikowa team joining the fun.

Getchell, Darrell
Administrator
Year Enlisted: 1961
Year Discharged: 1991

Christmas Day, 1969

Postby Getchell, Darrell » March 21st, 2011, 11:07 pm

Chuck,
I called Bill Trover the other day, just to say hi and to let him know about the reunion....the call turned from a planned few minutes to over an hour and we discussed everything and everybody we knew anything about. Had a great chat. He is in Dover, Delaware. Phil is in Harmony, Ok, but I haven't contacted him yet...have to do that one of these days. I'm looking forward to the reunion in B iloxi...should have a great time.
Darrell

Hull, Gary
Year Enlisted:
Year Discharged:

Christmas Day, 1969

Postby Hull, Gary » June 25th, 2011, 2:40 pm

I talked to both Lick and Willie T in the last few months. Willie remembered me immediately and we talked for quite awhile. He apparently wasn't done talking and called me back a few days later and we talked for another 45 minutes or so. It was nice to hear his voice. He hasn't changed much either. When I talked to Lick, he did not remember me until I mentioned the cable upgrade job where I fixed the TACAN at Don Muang (see my other post). Apparently he was our Team Chief at the time...which I thought was funny since I recalled our team chief being Scott Moore. Oh well...my memory while still good is just now shorter than when I was younger.

Return to “483rd GEEIA”