485th GEEIA/E&I

Cam Ranh Bay AB, South Vietnam
Moore, Jim
Year Enlisted:
Year Discharged:

485th GEEIA/E&I

Postby Moore, Jim » December 16th, 2009, 12:48 pm

J. Telott

I don't remember you by name, but we had to cross paths. Went to crypto school Aug 68 - May 69. Was in 485th Jul 70 - Jul 71. Was part of the "rodeo" in the club house. Was on team with Blackie Blackburn, Steve Benjamin, and Ron Davis. Had a dog named Heinz and a pet monkey that used to ride him around Cam Rahn Bay. Hooch maid ended up killing and cooking the monkey. Had a small farm (goats, chickens, ducks) before leaving. The Navy guys stole and BBQed the goats. I worked in motor pool with Charlie Brown and Jerry Conger when we weren't on the road. Charlie, Jerry, Steve Theory and I had a wreck coming back from a run to Natrang. That might have been after you left.

The things that you do to maintain sanity.

Had some good times with the guys in 485th. Haven't heard from any of them in years.

Retired from AF in 1988. Now have a son and son-in-law in AF. Both doing good. Things sure have changed though.

Would like to hear from others that were there in 70 -71

Jim

Doyle, Michael
Year Enlisted:
Year Discharged:

485th GEEIA/E&I

Postby Doyle, Michael » January 2nd, 2010, 9:41 am

Was in country April-70 til April-71. All over the place. Bunch of great guys. Hope some of you remember me and get in touch. Aussie burgers at Phan-Rang were highlight.

Moore, Jim
Year Enlisted:
Year Discharged:

485th GEEIA/E&I

Postby Moore, Jim » January 5th, 2010, 4:29 pm

Doyle, Michael

You are right..that was a bunch of great guys. Unfortunately, I cannot remember very many by name. Spent some time at Phan Rang. Celebrated my 21st birthday there with some guys from Aussie 2nd Sq. (Bomb dump Billy and others). Drank Aussie beer and ate Korean C rations that Sam Johnson had on hand. Still don't care for Kimshe.

Lester, Bill
Year Enlisted:
Year Discharged:

485th GEEIA/E&I

Postby Lester, Bill » December 7th, 2010, 3:56 pm

Got to Cam Rahn Bay in Jan 70 and was sent to Tan San Nhut almost immediately (as the Project Officer - Captain at the time). Recognize many of the names above as they spent time at TSN. Last time I saw Blackwelder he was painting trucks in my parking lot. ( and drinking our beer). Still talk to people I met at the comm sqdn at TSN. My brother was an Army medic at Monkey Mountain, and we visited back and forth for about 6 months. Many fine memories of Viet Nam. Prior to 485th I was with the 2863 GEEIA Sqnd at Brookley AFB, Al, and Wright Patterson AFB (after the move).
After leaving RVN went to Japan and after that to the 1839EIG at Keesler. Finally got an honest job with comm squadrons. Retired in 1988, went to work as a contractor with U.S. Customs Service, and now work as a missionary in Africa. Just resently ran across this GEEIA site. Bill Lester (OKC, OKLA)

Brickell, Paul
Year Enlisted:
Year Discharged:

485th GEEIA/E&I

Postby Brickell, Paul » June 14th, 2011, 2:57 pm

Got to Cam Rahn Bay in Jan 70 and was sent to Tan San Nhut almost immediately (as the Project Officer - Captain at the time). Recognize many of the names above as they spent time at TSN. Last time I saw Blackwelder he was painting trucks in my parking lot. ( and drinking our beer). Still talk to people I met at the comm sqdn at TSN. My brother was an Army medic at Monkey Mountain, and we visited back and forth for about 6 months. Many fine memories of Viet Nam. Prior to 485th I was with the 2863 GEEIA Sqnd at Brookley AFB, Al, and Wright Patterson AFB (after the move).
After leaving RVN went to Japan and after that to the 1839EIG at Keesler. Finally got an honest job with comm squadrons. Retired in 1988, went to work as a contractor with U.S. Customs Service, and now work as a missionary in Africa. Just resently ran across this GEEIA site. Bill Lester (OKC, OKLA)

Bill, I was an E-4 at Tan San Nhut (by way of Cam Rahn) of and on in 70-71. Among the photos I took at TSN is a gag photo of a Captain squatting in some tall grass wearing a helmet and a flak jacket with a slide rule in one hand a a T-square in the other. Was that you?

Brickell, Paul
Year Enlisted:
Year Discharged:

485th GEEIA/E&I

Postby Brickell, Paul » June 14th, 2011, 3:00 pm

Thanks, I used the right password last night but I guess the magic was being stubborn. I managed to get one photo posted today but that was all. It's called "Bernsens Bastards". It is a photo of a painted rock next to where the ferry docked on Hon Tre Island. Colonel Bernsen was our commander at the time.

Jack

Jack, I took the same picture.

Lester, Bill
Year Enlisted:
Year Discharged:

Re: 485th GEEIA/E&I

Postby Lester, Bill » August 16th, 2013, 6:17 pm

Paul Brickell,
Sorry to take so long getting back to you. Yes that was me in the weeds with the t-square. I believe there was one of our troops laying down, and I had my foot on his back. It was my "war atrosity" photo. Blackwelder, and some others were taking photos holding their M-16s. I could see those coming back to bite me.
I don't get on this site very often. Only when my "password" was changed, did my memory get refreshed. Still get an email from JT Lott. And see some names on this board that I recognize. Doesn't seem like 43 years ago. Four years ago I went to Afghanistan, and my preference would still have been Vietnam. Want to go back to see how it's gotten better. Can't believe I've been retired from the AF for 25 years. Still working in Africa. Bill Lester

Rowell, Rudy
Year Enlisted: 1962
Year Discharged: 1982

Re: 485th GEEIA/E&I

Postby Rowell, Rudy » August 17th, 2017, 6:40 am

Jim Moore I was crypto and had Steve Benjamin and John Hausman on my team I think that you were also assigned to my team. I was there from Oct 1970 to Sept 1971. had some great times

Return to “485th GEEIA”