Where is everybody???

Garcia, Johnnie
Year Enlisted: Aug 1965
Year Discharged: Dec 1968

Where is everybody???

Postby Garcia, Johnnie » April 22nd, 2014, 5:18 pm

Is anybody out there :?:
I would like to hear some more stories before we all kick the bucket!!!!!!

Weekley, Tommy
Year Enlisted: 1966
Year Discharged: 1970

Re: Where is everybody???

Postby Weekley, Tommy » April 26th, 2014, 8:36 pm

Hey J.,I think the site is about dead and that is so sad to me so here's one for you. Remember in tech school we stayed in open bay barracks? Well the guy in the bunk next to me was named Bartlett and every nite he would go to the Airman's Club at Sheppard and get wasted.The first time he came back and after turning in, he got sick and threw up in my shoes, I started swapping our shoes out after he went to sleep so guess where he puked.He would be left standing by his self at inspections.He was an o.k. dude, just very young and couldn't handle his beer like us 19 year olds could( yeah, right)He got his nickname shortly and it was 'drum roll'...Barflett! Hang in , J. ..........T

Garcia, Johnnie
Year Enlisted: Aug 1965
Year Discharged: Dec 1968

Postby Garcia, Johnnie » May 2nd, 2014, 12:50 pm

Yes, it is sad. There are so many stories out there that should be heard by other veterans, because it make us laugh at some of stupid things we did when were young and in our prime. I did the same in Kadena. Do you remember those bottles of Shira-Sake? We would put peanuts in a typhoon bottle of Shira-Sake. I got wasted and I was in the upper bunk and I barf all the way to the showers. I was one sick dude next morning. Good to hear from you Tommy. Looks like you and I are the only ones sharing.

Weekley, Tommy

Postby Weekley, Tommy » May 4th, 2014, 2:17 pm

Hey J., here's one for you. When I first got to Tachikawa and made some friends, they took me downtown to a Sake bar and introduced me to a little game where they would put the little Sake cups(full,naturally) on the floor.You would assume a pushup position over one, lower yourself down, pickup the cup with your mouth, roll over and replace the cup.If you spilled it or there was any left in the cup, you had to buy a round. There would usually be 6 or 7 of us. Doesn't sound too bad until you downed 20 or 30!At least you would get a pretty good workout.Later, amigo.......T

Morse, Paul
Year Enlisted: ????
Year Discharged: ????

Postby Morse, Paul » July 18th, 2014, 4:13 pm

Well, it sounds like some drinking stories so I'll add one.
Stationed at Kelly in San Antonio, one of the guys, Dan Nicks, had just bought a new Chevy convertible. I think it had a big V8, maybe a 396. So a bunch of us took a ride around town. Me, Dan, Bob Vaughan, Gene Satterlee, and maybe Chuck Hilgers. We knew of a pool hall over in the West side. Mexican part of town. The place was large and open. Pay by the hour. We played and ate Mexican food. Very good and very cheap. Course it was real authentic. I think it was 50 cents for the combination plate. We drank beer. Played more pool, drank more beer. After a while it started getting dark out and someone said "Lets's go to Laredo and get laid".
So after another beer or 10 we all piled into Dan's Chevy and headed out. We probably stopped at a convenience store and picked another six pack just to be on the safe side. Dan liked to drive FAST anyway. And the road to Laredo was wide and open with long stretches of nothing but blacktop. Dan, who was married, was a little reluctant to go so he decided to get there in a hurry. Dan would punch the car up to 120mph on the straights and slow it down to 90 on the long sweeping curves. The car went along very nicely sort of like a boat on a rolling ocean. I guess it had good suspension but there was a lot of weight in it.
Well, after a while of this rolling motion Bob yelled for Dan to pull over. Which he did. Bob opened up the door and barfed his lunch but good. It was a good stop because we all need to take a leak. We got back in and Dan proceeded to hit the gas. More rolling. After a little bit, Satterlee yelled out to stop the car. He jumped out and let go his barrittos.
At that point Dan announced that, "Hell, if we're gong to stop and puke every ten miles I'm turning around". Which he did. Now I can't say I was disappointed because I was a little bit nervous sitting in the back seat and Dan, who was half in the bag, up front driving 120mph. Oh, he kept it pretty much on the road with very little swerving but I knew from experience that one little look away or a little glitch and whammo, you're upside down.
Yeah, we made it back to the base with only one more stop for beer.

Weekley, Tommy

Postby Weekley, Tommy » July 22nd, 2014, 2:13 pm

Hi Paul, sounds like you,like a lot of us are lucky to still be around.My wife and I were watching a travel show on tv the other day and they ran a story on the No Name Pub on Big Pine Key in the Florida Keys and it almost brought a tear to my eye as that is where I turned 21 in Feb. 1968 and my crew bought me my first legal brews. We were tdy to a radar site outside of Key West and living in a motel on Little Torch Key. Both the pub and the motel are still there. A coule of days later they were showing the 45th anniversary of the moon landing and the announcer was wandering if we remembered where we were.Well, I was on Ie Shima island off of Okinawa living in an Okinawan private home and tdy again. What a wonderful experience for a young man, and GEEIA made it all possible.I wish you all well...... Tommy

Turczak, Roger
Year Enlisted: 1963
Year Discharged: 1967

Postby Turczak, Roger » July 25th, 2014, 11:28 am

I know where a couple of guys are that were in the the 2867th from 1964 to 1967. They are still alive in 2014. Jim Tenney, Brian Craven and me, Roger Turczak. Anybody still out there that remembers us? Roger

Return to “General Chatter”