getting on the message board

Hansen, Len
Year Enlisted: 1960
Year Discharged: 1966

getting on the message board

Postby Hansen, Len » June 16th, 2014, 9:59 am

Jeez guys,,,with all the guys who signed up on this site from GEEIA and COMM Sqdn's it's a shame no one has anything to write about,,,,,,,,,,,

Weekley, Tommy
Year Enlisted: 1966
Year Discharged: 1970

Re: getting on the message board

Postby Weekley, Tommy » June 20th, 2014, 11:51 am

Hey Len, I have over 70 posts since I joined in which I told a lot of things that happened to me. I have a lot more but don't think anyone is really interested so I have backed off. Maybe some of my stories were a little too rough around the edges for some , but hey, I was 20 and a little wild and it was a crazy time and I had a blast living it, so no apologies here!......T

Farrell, Chuck
Year Enlisted: September 12, 1966
Year Discharged: October 7, 1970

Postby Farrell, Chuck » June 20th, 2014, 11:58 am

I check the board almost everyday looking for new stories. Would love to hear yours. I was only in GEEIA 2 years, and had a pretty boring tour compared to some of you. Did get to go to Expo 70 in Osaka and a Formula 2 race somewhere north of Tokyo. never made it to Mt Fuji. Went to the Tokyo car show and some other outings with the USO or Airman's club, don't remember who did those trips. Lost all of my pictures from that time.

Garcia, Johnnie
Year Enlisted: Aug 1965
Year Discharged: Dec 1968

Postby Garcia, Johnnie » June 20th, 2014, 6:04 pm

Hey Len and Tommy, I've been having problems with my computer, so bad that I had to have a tech come out to my house. He must have worked on it for at least 2 hours. He installed a new modem and did all kind of stuff on the computer and finally told me that it must be my computer, so I started to look for a new computer. However the next day I turned it on before heading out to shop for a new computer. The computer was back to normal. I don't know what he did but it is working great, so I'm back.
Do any of you remember typhoon Cora? The eye hit Miyako Jima. There is a website with good photos of the devastation it caused on the island. There is one of the flag pole with a 30 degree bend that was done by the strong winds and uprooted telephone poles like tooth picks. Radar domes were also damaged. I was on one of the crews that help install the panels to the radar site. I was working with another airman (Dave Brown?). The scaffolding was a lot to be desired. We had a ladder across both scaffolding with plywood on top of the ladder without side rails. Dave and I Installed the last panel with vise grips to line the holes and bolt it together. We tightened the bolts and walked back to the end of the ladder, and someone below yells. You forgot the vise grips. Dave says I am not going out there again I have a wife and kids, since I was single the crew chief yells at me to go get them. I yelled if he wanted them to go get them himself and just as I finished the vise grips came lose and I yelled "headache". Our crew chief never said a word. I suppose he was happy it was done without an incident.
later that evening went to the club and got shit face. We need more participation even if to just say you are still kicking. Tomadachi-san

Weekley, Tommy

Postby Weekley, Tommy » June 23rd, 2014, 1:15 pm

Here's one for you Chuck. When I was at Tachikawa, there was a bunch of organized Japanese who wore red bandanas and hated Americans. One Saturday I had just left a bar and was about a block away when I turned a corner and there was about 30 of them coming at me.they started screaming and chasing me.I ran back around the corner and into a Japanese bar that didn't allow Americans. A little guy ran up to me yelling no Amelicans, no Amelicans!! I opened the door a little, let him look outside and said, look, hoss ,someone's about to get his ass beat and there's 30 of them and one of you so guess who it's going to be!He said o.k. g.i. you stay!I even bought him and me a drink, those folks were nuts........T

Farrell, Chuck

Postby Farrell, Chuck » June 23rd, 2014, 1:27 pm

Tommy:

Never had that experience, but did see many of the demonstrations they held outside Tachi. When we moved from Yamato to Tachi we were in the barracks right inside the gate and fence across the street from the mortuary. We climbed up on the roof of the barracks closest to the fence and were taking pictures of the demonstration. Along came the APs, who chased us across the roof and down the steps. Dropped my Nikkormat and caught it on the first bounce. Slight dent, but still works to this day.

Weekley, Tommy

Postby Weekley, Tommy » June 26th, 2014, 1:17 pm

Chuck. we must have there at the same time as I moved from Yamato to Tachi shortly before I got out, remember those jokers who were always trying to dig under the fence at the flightline? I stayed tdy most of my time there but I enjoyed both Yamato and Tachi,The mama-san that cleaned my room at Tachi introduced me to her daughter and took me to Tokyo to meet her family.They were all super nice to me and took me to a great restaurant, a huge bowling alley, a great zoo.I still have a few pictures from that time.Remember when it snowed so hard at Yamato that the buses stopped running? I wanted to see my girlfriend so 3 of us called up and talked a cab into coming to pick us up. He kept saying crazy g.i., crazy g.i.!!!, He wasn't far wrong.........T

Farrell, Chuck

Postby Farrell, Chuck » June 28th, 2014, 6:40 pm

You should put your pictures on the site. I'm sure they will trigger memories for all of us.

Weekley, Tommy

Postby Weekley, Tommy » June 30th, 2014, 6:42 am

Due to the site requirements for submitting photos, my 10 year old computer and my extremely limited skills on said computer( I am a dumbass to the, as we used to say, the max)I don't think it is possible ,Chuck.I copied out some of them on my printer and sent copies to the last reunion and have also sent some to Strazza and Garcia.

Return to “General Chatter”