Locating 2860 GEEIA members serving from 1965 - 1971.

Robins AFB, Georgia
Saylor, James
Year Enlisted:
Year Discharged:

Postby Saylor, James » April 16th, 2012, 6:49 pm

I would like to find service members who served with the 2860 GEEIA at Warner Robins over the period of 1965 - 1971.
We had Col Oats as our co, we were TDY to the Azores, Vietnam, Tyndal AFB in North Florida, Key West NAS, just to
mention a few.

Any help will be appreciated.

Rev. James Saylor

Weekley, Tommy
Year Enlisted: 1966
Year Discharged: 1970

Postby Weekley, Tommy » April 18th, 2012, 11:54 am

howdy james! i am almost certain i was with you on at least one job and i think it was on an fps-77 radar tower at tyndall near panama city.i was on 5 or 6 of them all over the s.e. also there were dale treadwell and mike rapach john cassasa and team chief arthur smith(msgt) i don't know how all of you guys remember our co's. i never had any dealings with them.out of my year and a half at robins i probably didn't spend over 6 weeks there. seems like i was always gone which suited me fine. look at my other posts and jerry strazza' s for other folks who were there during that period and welcome aboard! tommy weekley

Saylor, James
Year Enlisted:
Year Discharged:

Postby Saylor, James » April 21st, 2012, 9:47 am

Brother Tom:

You are right, we did meet at Tyndall. Good to hear there are a few of us left. I was the same as you, maybe I was at Robins for a month total.
The name John Cassasa rings a bell. Anyway after leaving the service I traveled all over the Carribean Basin for about thirty years ending
up in Southern Fl. I now live in SOOOOOOuth Louisiana. Oh I am a Preacher now, a little different.

Brother Jim

Harris, Paul
Year Enlisted: 1963
Year Discharged: 1967

Re: Locating 2860 GEEIA members serving from 1965 - 1971.

Postby Harris, Paul » May 19th, 2017, 9:36 am

HI Tom,
My name is Paul Harris. I was stationed my whole tour at the 2860 Sq, I was there from the first part of '64 until Sept 67. Col. Boyle was still the CO, I think. Things tend to get a little foggy after so many years. It's been awhile since I visited the GEEIA site, and your post is new to me!

The post mentioned a few name I do remember. John Casassa for one. I'm pretty sure I was on at least one of his jobs. He wasn't one of my favorite NCOs. Msgt Art Smith was another story, He was a great guy. At the time I worked for him (only one job in '64) he seemed to be sooo old ! ! He was a trip though. We installed a 300 pr Armored Jute cable from the Base to the Drone Site out east of the base. I don't remember how many 800 ft. rolls it took, but they just kept coming. My job put me on the back of a big Cat, D8 I think, securing the end of the cable from the trailer so that the plow could put it into the ground. The cable splicers were there long after we left.

As for Dale Treadwell, He was a close friend. We were both married and lived off base in the same duplex house on Lydick Ave. My wife and Margaret were very close. We were in Atlanta in 1994 to see a friend graduate from Emory. We went a day early so that we could go look around Warner Robins. A lot of changes in 27 years. We found Dale in the phone book and went to see them. As it turned out, Dale was in Atlanta on business, but we had a great visit with Margaret. I'm sorry to say we lost touch again.

I retired from a utility company in Rochester, 15 years ago. We now live in western NY in a little town called Bergen. It's about 20 miles west of Rochester. It's farm country and it suits us just fine!

Paul

Return to “2860th GEEIA”