who's out there?

Weekley, Tommy
Year Enlisted: 1966
Year Discharged: 1970

who's out there?

Postby Weekley, Tommy » July 10th, 2013, 2:18 pm

Hi boys and girls, hope everyone had a great 4th. I recently subscribed to AF Times after not reading it for a long time. WOW, most folks would not recognize our beloved Force. They are making a lot of e-6,e-7 retrain into other career fields and not even letting a bunch of e-4, e-5's re-up. If the Prez and congress don't pull their collective heads out of their asses, our beloved country and people are headed for a big heartache. I know that we all saw the best years when we served........T

Getchell, Darrell
Administrator
Year Enlisted: 1961
Year Discharged: 1991

who's out there?

Postby Getchell, Darrell » August 1st, 2013, 1:36 pm

Frank...
I think the guy who named his daughter Geeia was named Brodsky...He died a few years ago , maybe 5-8 years...his daughter's name was Geeia Lynn Brodsky, she is now married to a guy named Habing. I have invited them to GEEIA reunions, but not interested.
If you Google the word GEEIA, and scan thru the several pages that come up you will find several people named Geeia...Gonzales, and others I guess they all have a connection back to GEEIA in some way...
Darrell Getchell

Beckmann, Clive
Year Enlisted: 1960
Year Discharged: 1964

Re: who's out there?

Postby Beckmann, Clive » August 25th, 2013, 10:16 am

OK, Guys, here's some new blood for the chat board.

I was in 2876th GEEIA during 1961-63, but for most of my two years at Clark, GEEIA had me on loan to the 848th AC&W Sqdn. Since 1st Mob was getting all the mobile radar schemes, my career field wasn't in much demand within the 2876th. So it was their way of allowing me to work within my career field, 30332 (Heavy Ground Radar Repairman), which eventually allowed me to successfully attain the 30352 advancement. Being fresh out of a year-long tech school at Keesler AFB, this arrangement was a fortuitous stroke of luck. I lived in the GEEIA barracks, and consequently had the opportunity to know most of the guys who were stationed there at the time.

I worked at the radar site atop Lily Hill, just across the street from the GEEIA barracks, an easy ten minute walk away. The big white bubble housed an AN/FPS-8 search radar, and a TPS-10D height-finder radar was installed on an adjacent steel tower structure. A U-shaped Quonset hut building housed the maintenance shop and operations room, and also a huge break room, the walls of which were papered in Playboy centerfolds. Of course, the coffee pot was always going. Lily Hill and the two radars were visible from most of Clark AB, with the height finder antenna endlessly nodding up and down. (Note: The Lily Hill radar site was deactivated in late 1963)

There was a rotating shift schedule of three swing shifts, then a day off; three mid shifts, then a day off; then three day shifts followed by two days off. I was lucky to be working with a very talented group of technicians and tech-reps, and my training progressed very quickly.

Some time after initial assignment, when the thrill of my new military posting became routine, I acquired a rental getaway in the nearby village of Angeles, a nice 2-bedroom wooden bungalow with corrugated metal roof, nestled amongst a profusion of tropical foliage. I can still close my eyes and hear the sound of rain on that roof. It became my 'fortress of solitude', offering a break from the daily military life. Ah, yes....nostalgia plus.

I have some photos if I can figure out how to post them.

Clive Beckmann
Gilbert, AZ

Barr, Charlie
Year Enlisted: 1962

Postby Barr, Charlie » November 7th, 2014, 9:13 am

Det 2 2875 GEEIA. Had Small quanset hut, and small supply room.
I spent nearly 6 Months tdy there when a big scheme failed. 313th Air Division Commander was not happy, so Msgts Killingsworth, and the tty lead guy brought me (ssgt) down with them to "talk with " the CO. Result was he told them that GEEIA was going to provide him with a 24/7 on call troop to go to comm cen if system failed and to report status to 2875th CO on that status. The Det 2 OIC was 2nd LT. who was there and he agreed. Every one turned to look at me. I said my quarters were down town. The CO turned to the Lt and said "Lt, you can give your assigned jeep to Ssgt Barr for this duty." Then the CO said, " Ssgt Barr, you will be present at my morning staff meeting, where you will report any significant change in status". Most mornings were no changes, but sometimes there would be a failure (failed relay bias problem with no forward of missle test messages to some sites). Then I was to write up the failure, and send the message to 2875th CO, wth copy to 313th CO, and Engineering. About every week, the CO would close his meeting with, "dismissed, Ssgt stay behind!".
When the room cleared, he would say, "I know that this is not your fault, but I have to chew you out while this system keeps failing. It is not personal.". He would listen to the report, and proceed to tell me how unhappy he was with the job done by GEEIA in the full meeting.

Only had one time when the Air Police had to run me down while I was down town in the bars. That time I had them take me to the comm center and wait to bring me back to the hotel after I reset the system. Most of the time I was at the hotel and got a phone call from the comm cen at the hotel's office. They got used to it. GEEIA HQ finnaly got a redesign and I think TSgt Pelikai came back to do the work with part of his team.

The Lt was really happy to get his jeep back!

I had forgotten that. wow

Charlie

Farrell, Chuck
Year Enlisted: September 12, 1966
Year Discharged: October 7, 1970

Postby Farrell, Chuck » November 8th, 2014, 3:45 pm

Charlie:

Great story. When was that exactly? I was at Kadena twice, once with Bob Reynierse to install a network of 7's to the missile sites 11/68 - first TDY after arriving at the 2975th and once to install a new 26 or 13, (I forget now) in the SAC SSO 4/69. Those two trips spoiled me for every other TDY I did - mostly Korea, once to Guam and all around Japan. Very disappointed I never got back to Oki.

Chuck

Weekley, Tommy
Year Enlisted: 1966

Postby Weekley, Tommy » November 11th, 2014, 2:25 pm

Happy Veteran's Day to all of my GEEIA brothers out there and thank you for your service to our country, I think you all know that we were fortunate to serve during the best periods and ,for most, it was the most unusual times of our lives. T

Hull, Gary
Year Enlisted:
Year Discharged:

Postby Hull, Gary » July 2nd, 2018, 2:05 pm

It has been ages since I last posted...but I am still here and around. Can't hardly believe it's been almost 50 years (approximately 49 years 11 months) since I reported to the 483 GEEIA in Korat. I finished my 4th year on active duty in the 1827 E&I in San Antonio, getting out to go to college. While out I missed the camaraderie of the USAF so enlisted in the ANG. After putting in an additional 34.5 years in the ANG, which included two breaks in service due to civilian career moves) I retired in 2008 as a Chief from the DC ANG. Still wish I had extended my tour in Korat and continued what I loved doing which was traveling Thailand to fix TACANs, a couple of which were secret sites.

I hope everyone is doing well.

Gary

Return to “General Chatter”