tachi

Tachikawa AB, Japan
Weekley, Tommy
Year Enlisted: 1966
Year Discharged: 1970

tachi

Postby Weekley, Tommy » January 5th, 2015, 2:18 pm

I was looking over my only still existing set of TDY orders and they were for a trip to Taegu, Korea for a cable installation. There were 18 of us and I knew the 11or so outside wire types but thought you inside guys might recognize some of your people,John Miller,Roland Albert,Rainer Becker,Claus Davis,Michael Grepps,Alphonso Thomas,William Wetzel' also the team was headed up by TSgt Flowers and SSgt Sthepen O'Hara.The orders were for April of 1970 and I think was my last AF job before being discharged in August.IAlso remember the guy who picked me up at Yokota at 2 in the morning when I first arrived at Tachi in 68, I think his name was Gene but everybody always called him Gomer.He was the spitting image in build, face, hair and mannerisms of Gomer Pyle.Also, does anyone remember the black clerk in charge of the muster desk? He was a short chunky very pleasant guy and I think he had been at Tachi for years, seems like his name was Ray but I could be wrong,Anyway, just remembering old good days from back then.

Garcia, John
Year Enlisted: Aug 1965
Year Discharged: Dec 1968

Re: tachi

Postby Garcia, John » January 5th, 2015, 10:15 pm

Tsgt Flowers must be the same guy that was in Kadena. He was a big Black guy. We went on a high alert because there was a typhoon going our way, so this General wanted all antennas that looked like a large antenna lowered. Tsgt was in charge and he told the General that it was not a good idea, because the single towers the load on the fulcrum was off. He told the Sgt to go ahead and lower the antennas. You can visualize what happened the ones with the double support towers were ok, but the other ones with the single support towers folded on the way down. It was bad engineering. Tommy did you happen to work on the same antennas that were in Osan and Kunsan??

Weekley, Tommy
Year Enlisted: 1966
Year Discharged: 1970

Postby Weekley, Tommy » January 7th, 2015, 10:17 am

John, I never worked with a black Tsgt. Flowers, the one I worked with was white. During my career with GEEIA, both stateside and abroad, I probably worked on 40-50 different kinds of antennas and the fog of years won't let me remember them all, much to my disappointment. I spent a really busy 4 years and going by some conversations spent a lot more time tdy than some of my fellow outside wire guys. Some of them were married and tried to stay at home as much as possible while I was just the opposite, I tried to stay on the road my whole time.If the team leader I was assigned to was'n going on a job for a while, I would beg my way onto another team. Made me happy. Of course, I got stuck with a few crappy jobs using my system, but, overall, it worked out o.k.......... Tommy

Garcia, John
Year Enlisted: Aug 1965
Year Discharged: Dec 1968

Postby Garcia, John » January 9th, 2015, 11:16 pm

Hey Tommy, I just noticed on the last message. I left out TV on large antenna, but the antenna I was talking about was one of the ones that you were in one of the photos you mailed where you were out on one of the limbs with plenty of sway.
I was just thinking back and wondered if Korea still have Mokalic houses that served dried octopus. It was a cheap drunk before payday. I don't think I can stomach that dried octopus today or akadama for that matter.
I'm going to mail you some more photos that you may enjoy of Okinawa. Until later JG

Pignatello, Joseph
Year Enlisted: 1969
Year Discharged: 1978

Postby Pignatello, Joseph » May 28th, 2018, 11:12 am

Tommy

I was at Tachi in the 2875th GEEIA Squadron from 1970-72. I knew TSgt Charlie Flowers (and his wife Carolyn). He was one of the best and took me under his wing while there. Charlie retired to Monroe La, but passed away a few years back. I saw him only weeks before he passed. When I got to the squad it was headed by MSgt "Zip" Hazelton, and there were a few others I remember - TSgt Gibson, SSgtTony Lopez, Gene Fulmer, etc

Just thought i'd catch up with some of the Tachi group...When Tachi was closing we got shipped to Yakota as the 1837th EAI

Joe

Return to “2875th GEEIA”