VietNam "boots on ground"

Tachikawa AB, Japan
Sanchez, Ralph
Year Enlisted: 1961
Year Discharged: 1984

VietNam "boots on ground"

Postby Sanchez, Ralph » August 16th, 2017, 8:30 pm

I was part of 2875 from Sept '66 to July '68. My Dd214 do not show TDY to Vietnam or other locations, but of course we were there. Has anyone else had this issue and if so successful in proving we were on the ground in Vietnam?

Kobe, Pete
Year Enlisted: 1965
Year Discharged: 1996

Re: VietNam "boots on ground"

Postby Kobe, Pete » August 16th, 2017, 8:45 pm

Hey Ralph,

I see you just found and joined this forum. Welcome! I would not expect too many answers to your questions as this forum is pretty quiet these days. We are all getting older and more forgetful about staying in touch. I do check the site from time to time and I set an alert anytime someone posts to the 2875th forum.

I do recall you but only vaguely and I would assume you came on here looking for answers to a medical issue related to your Viet Nam visits. I would recommend talking to a VFW service officer in your area as they can really provide help to vets needing answers. For sure they can point you in the right direction.

I for some weird reason kept copies of all my orders and travel vouchers from back in the day some are fading a bit but still readable. I don't know how you would prove your stay in Nam for say VA benefits.

Good luck here and hope you find the answers you need.

Oh by the way I retired from my work and moved to Thailand back in 2005. My life is here now.

PK

Sanchez, Ralph

Postby Sanchez, Ralph » August 16th, 2017, 9:12 pm

Thank You, I'm getting old too, and vaguely remember you and Harriety being the ladies man.Do you remember staying at the oasis hotel in Taiwan, just down the street from ChenKaiChek's palace? I also recall being chauffeured everywhere we went. Do you remember John Mack and Jim E Stuart? Or Maurice... I don't remember his last name, maybe Bristol. I remover he use to write short stories for a magazine. Enjoy Thailand!

Kobe, Pete

Postby Kobe, Pete » August 16th, 2017, 9:33 pm

Ralph, I do recall the hotel and the water balloons we used to throw down from the roof.

I can refresh your memory a bit. Myron "Mike" Haraughty and John Mack and Maurice Bristow were part of my team. Bris was the team chief. We went to Nam together for 6 months in early 68' and Danny Elkins was also a teammate.We ducked a lot of rockets during TET in Feb 68'.

I can run down a name list to see who you recall. James "Skinny" Stewart, Jim Boatright, Dan Olschefski, Robert Grisham our supervisor. Bill McCaffery, Rollie Farrar, Larry Jolliffe, Don Pounds, Jim Puetz, Rick Walker, "Butch" Chapin, Jerry Chaloux, Jim Galbraith, Neal Schissler team chief, Bill Hilliard, Neal Fleming team chief. These were inside plant types that we worked with. There are many more crypto and teletype folks that I recall too. Bob Reynierse is on this forum and a few others.

We have had some reunions overs the years back in the 70's. Some guys are dead now and some I still keep in touch with such as Don Pounds, Dan Olschefski and Rollie and Billy Mac. Sometimes Haraughty

Good luck on your quest for info.

PK

Reynierse, Bob
Year Enlisted:
Year Discharged:

Postby Reynierse, Bob » August 19th, 2017, 4:23 pm

If you look closely on your DD214 there is a plce that could be checked that shows Viet Nam. Mine does.

Kobe, Pete

Postby Kobe, Pete » August 19th, 2017, 7:12 pm

Bob, my 214 has no such check box. The only indication of Nam service is the medals I was awarded. The Viet Nam Service Medal (VSM) and Republic of Viet Nam Campaign Medal (RVCM) and the Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal ( AFEM ).These may be enough to get VA benefits related to Nam. I do not know.

Reynierse, Bob
Year Enlisted:
Year Discharged:

Postby Reynierse, Bob » August 21st, 2017, 4:39 pm

I just had a look at my DD214s. They are all different.In the remark section the indicated the Viet Nam Service. You are probably right about the Decorations.

Sanchez, Ralph

Postby Sanchez, Ralph » August 21st, 2017, 11:08 pm

Thank you, I have VSM and AFEM mentioned, so we'll see what they say, I'm not holding my breath.
I sure hope I can hear more from the guys from 2875, it was a real pleasure to come across this site.

Reynierse, Bob
Year Enlisted:
Year Discharged:

Postby Reynierse, Bob » August 22nd, 2017, 1:13 pm

I hope you are getting help with your claim. The VFW, DAV, or any veterans organization will have a service officer. That is where you need to go.

Kobe, Pete

Postby Kobe, Pete » August 22nd, 2017, 8:55 pm

I agree with Bob on this. If you do not have copies of orders or travel vouchers or photos or other memorabilia that can show you in Nam.

The VFW service officer in your area will be able to help in one way or another as this is a 50 year old question for a lot of us.You are not alone on this or is this a new question. Any service officer in any of the Vet organisations can be of help. The VA itself can tell you for sure what they will accept so start the process now if you have not done so.

Return to “2875th GEEIA”