485th GEEIA Sept67-68

Cam Ranh Bay AB, South Vietnam
Beyer, Nick
Year Enlisted:
Year Discharged:

485th GEEIA Sept67-68

Postby Beyer, Nick » November 24th, 2007, 1:14 pm

Was part of the 485th, Sept 67-68 was part of a radio team ground to ground,ground to air, installing UHF,VHF radio equipment,and using KWM-2As for our "radio net" back to CRB, when conditions were right, for our supplies for VNAF.Airforce,FAC eq for the Marines in I Corp ,Marble mountain,Monkey Mountain,DaNang AO,and up north after TET,then back to Phu Cat, to name a few locations and LZs "Two Bits","English","Uplift".Spent the whole year "incountry" "bag drag"and incontry R&R The 485th GEEIA was "BORN IN VIETNAM"
NickB AFSC 30454 "NEVER FORGET".

Sparks, Clifford, H.
Year Enlisted:
Year Discharged:

485th GEEIA Sept67-68

Postby Sparks, Clifford, H. » December 7th, 2007, 1:27 pm

Hello brother...just now found your reply to my post..I am sure we crossed paths either on the mountain or in DaNang in the club...remember when the rocket hit the Comm Sqdn hutch. Well I was supposed to be sleeping their in our designated GEEIA bunk, when some ass hole parked a large truck next to the hutch..Charlie then sent a rocket into that truck, which in turn burned down the hutch. I was reported as a casuality, little did they know that in true Geeia tradition I was dead drunk at the NCO club and asleep in the transit hutch outside the club on the main base..to this day I wanted to puch out that supply idiot who parked his truck next to our barracks..

Beyer, Nick
Year Enlisted:
Year Discharged:

485th GEEIA Sept67-68

Postby Beyer, Nick » December 27th, 2007, 4:43 pm

Hello...I wasn't there when they hit the Comm hootch...with 122mm rockets becouse we were bunked in the next hootch next to it, and the hootch that was hit was being rebuilt, hoping Charlie would'nt hit the same place twice...was there when Charlie hit the POL tanks, Our team was in and out of DaNang between CRB Phu Cat, An Khe,Pleiku,Bien Hoa alot of other bases and LZs Uplift,English,Two Bits "incountry" installing eq as it arrived and was on site..always on the move "bag drag" after TET... its been a long time....trying to forget most of it...Remember the sayings "It don't mean nothin".".."It don't mean a thing"and "If you think sex is exciting" try "Incoming"..."KEEP THE FAITH" & "WELCOME HOME"Sept 67-68

SOLDIER
I WAS THAT WHICH OTHERS DID NOT WANT TO BE.
I WENT WHERE OTHERS FEARED TO GO,
AND DID WHAT OTHERS FAILED TO DO.
I ASKED NOTHING FROM THOSE WHO GAVE NOTHING,
AND RELUCTANTLY ACCEPTED THE THOUGHT OF
ETERNAL LONELINESS ...SHOULD I FAIL.
I HAVE SEEN THE FACE OF TERROR;
FELT THE STINGING COLD Of FEAR;
AND ENJOYED THE SWEET TASTE Of A MOMENTS LOVE.
I HAVE CRIED, PAINED, AND HOPED ...BUT MOST OF ALL,
I HAVE LIVED TIMES OTHERS WOULD SAY WERE BEST FORGOTTEN.
AT LEAST SOMEDAY I WILL BE ABLE TO SAY THAT I WAS PROUD OF

WHAT I WAS...

A SOLDIER
Dedicated to the men of the 1st Battalion(M) 50th Infantry, LZ UPLIFT, A Co 5-6 MAY 68 AN BAO. Twenty-two men who gave everything ....so their fellow buddies would see The "Tomorrow" In Every Soldiers Prayer. You are not forgotten...I remember
"Life Is Never So Sweetly Sacred As Seen Through The Eyes Of War" (author unknown)
"SOLDIER" By GEORGE L. SKYPECK, Reg ® US Trademark, Copyright © 1978, All Rights Reserved. Dwight Eisenhower said in his 1953 inaugural address, "History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid."

USAF 1965-69 AFSC 30454 ARMY NATIONAL GUARD 1979-80 1/194th ARMORED CAVALRY MOS 11B 11C NickB Sept 67-68 1/194th AROMORED CAVALRY HISTORY 1st Combined Arms Battalion, 194th Armor Brainerd, Minnesota
1st Combined Arms Battalion, 194th Armor

"We're the battling bastards of Bataan;
No mama, no papa, no Uncle Sam.
No aunts, no uncles, no cousins, no nieces,
No pills, no planes, no artillery pieces.
And nobody gives a damn.
Nobody gives a damn."

by Frank Hewlett 1942

Gillett, Fred
Year Enlisted:
Year Discharged:

485th GEEIA Sept67-68

Postby Gillett, Fred » January 8th, 2011, 8:57 pm

I was in-country from July 1968 to June 1969 as the Safety NCO for the 485th. Just found the site and even though I wasn't a comm installation guy I visited almost every job site. I was there at Monkey Mountain when we dropped the poles for the radar net, was at Ban Me Tout, Pleiku, Phu Cat, NhaTrang, Phan Rhang, Thuey Hoa, Da Nang, Saigon, Bien Hoa, and a few others. God bless you all.

Savarese, Frank
Year Enlisted: 1965
Year Discharged: 1968

Re: 485th GEEIA Sept67-68

Postby Savarese, Frank » June 6th, 2018, 3:01 pm

I was assigned to the 485 from Dec 67 to Dec 68.
Most of the time I was away.
(Mainly at DaNang building the NSA comm. center.)
If you knew me, it would be my New York accent you would remember.
I was at Cam Ranh base when the first rocket attack happened.
(Fairly tame event after being at DaNang)
Frank

Return to “485th GEEIA”